Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Not Pregnant and Not Ovulating

Ok, I realize that is a rather negative way to start my first post on this blog.  But that is what I was staring at this morning at 6:30 in the bathroom.  Two internet cheapies recently dipped that gave me the news.... I am not pregnant and not ovulating.  Again.  Now I was not expecting a + pregnancy test this morning, I have just been taking one every week or two to make sure.  Since I haven't had my period in close to 60 days now I like to tease myself into thinking there might be a slight chance that I ovulated and became pregnant.  But since the other side of that story is that I am not ovulating (and have been peeing on an OPK almost daily to check) then my chances are pretty darn close to 1 in a million.  Ah well, one can still hope right?

Well let's talk about the last year or so that has led me to this point.  I came off of birth control in November 2009.  I didn't necessarily want to get pregnant right at that moment as I was still in school, but I figured by the time my body adjusted to being off the pill I would be in prime time baby-making mode.  Turns out that it did not take me anytime to get into the baby-fever frame of mind.  However, my body is taking its sweet time doing all that 'adjusting'.  No period for me... from November until April when I finally went to the doctor.  My P.A. did all sorts of labs and tests (including a pelvic u/s) and prescribed a 10-day course of Provera to induce a cycle.  She suspected PCOS, but I am definitely atypical since I am underweight and all of my labs are normal. She sent me on my way, with instructions to call back on CD1 to schedule some CD3 lab work.  CD1 came... and I called.... and she said nevermind on the labs we are referring you to the Reproductive Endocrinologist!  I made that appointment for the beginning of July 2010.  And wouldn't you know it, I got a spontaneous period the DAY BEFORE my appointment with Dr. Fay (RE).  I still went to the appointment of course, and Dr. Fay made no bones about it... I have PCOS.  Even though my labs are normal, I had the outward sign of high testosterone (difficult to treat acne), I have periodic low blood sugars (insulin resistance) and my pelvic u/s showed 13 follicles in one ovary and 14 in the other.  Anything over 12 is considered poly-cystic.  I left there with a Rx for Metformin and over-the-counter Cinnamon supplements and a follow up appointment in September. 

I have not had a period since July 5.  Part of me wanted to believe that since I started that one on my own that it would just keep on going like that!  Wrong.  The Met hasn't helped with my cycles yet, but that is one thing I want to ask Dr. Fay about.  I'm not really sure how long it is supposed to take?  I want to feel like it is doing something though because it is making me feel terrible.  They want me to eat low-carb to decrease the Met side effects of nausea/diarrhea.  So my goal is to gain weight while eating low-carb and feeling nauseous?  I might be crazy, but that doesn't sound logical!  My follow-up is this Friday (Sept 3), and we are going to assess the meds and check my weight.  If I have lost any weight at all then they we will probably have to try something else. 

So that is my story (in a nutshell)... I am trying to stay as positive as possible throughout all of this.  It helps so much to have others to talk to who are going through the TTC process, or who are also dealing with PCOS.  I plan to update regularly on here to keep track of our journey and to relieve some stress!  Here's hoping it soon turns into a pregnancy blog :)

No comments:

Post a Comment